Personalized Support for Urology Patients During Prostate Cancer Awareness Month and All Year Long
We are re-defining specialty pharmacy with a focus on clinical urology care. Treating certain urological issues can be highly complex, so we believe a comprehensive, collaborative, patient-centric approach to care is essential to successful treatment.
What is Prostate Cancer?
Almost all prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, which is a cancer that forms in a gland and can spread to other areas of the body. Other types of cancer that can start in the prostate include:
- Small cell carcinomas
- Neuroendocrine tumors (other than small cell carcinomas)
- Transitional cell carcinomas
According to the American Cancer Society, other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men.1 In 2023, It is estimated that about 288,000 new cases will be diagnosed.
Risk Factors for Prostate Cancer
Age - about 6 cases in 10 diagnosed are 65 or older, with an average age of 66
Geography – most common in North America, northwestern Europe, Australia, and on Caribbean islands
Race/Ethnicity – African American men and Caribbean men of African ancestry are at a higher risk
Family history – Family history can increase your risk. For example, having a father or brother with prostate cancer can more than double the risk.
Urology Health Tips For Patients
A few easy ways to keep your urological system healthy are2:
- Drink plenty of water – six or more cups of water a day are recommended
- Exercise – try for 30 minutes or more a day of moderate exercise five or more days a week
- Eat healthy – fruits, vegetables, and fiber are all good for your urology health
- Don’t smoke – smoking can cause many urological health issues with the prostate, bladder, and reproductive systems
As a urology-focused specialty pharmacy, CareMed provides:
- Urology-specific care management programs
- Clinical management, consultations + medication compliance monitoring
- Funding assistance for eligible patients – even for generic medications
- Free overnight delivery to a patient’s doorstep
If you are a prescriber and would like to refer to CareMed, click here for our order forms.